I’m Sarah –
– a quirky, purple-haired English girl, newly resident in Chilliwack, BC.
– a lover of words, a writer and a storyteller.
– a photographer of people… unique individuals, loving couples, chaotic families and soulful small businesses who are just trying to put their little stamp on the world.
– wife to my Paramedic husband, Stu (who talks with a funny accent!) and cat-Mum to our two fur babies, Lewie and Lola. I also am half-Maltese and half-English (with parents living on the tiny island of Malta in the middle of the Med) while my gorgeous, belly dancing lil sis, Hannah, resides on a completely different Ireland.
– a nomad, with a wanderer’s soul. With such a widespread family, is that really any surprise? I love to travel at any given opportunity and will take on work anywhere in the world, but especially in the UK, Ireland, Malta and the rest of Europe.
– a bit sweary (that could be a bit of an understatement…).
This lot, right here, are why I do what I do.
In the first shot, my long suffering “fine I’ll stand here while you take another photograph Sarah” husband, Stu. He’s from Derbyshire and he talks funny. Even after 14 years together I don’t always understand what he’s saying. I think he does it on purpose…
The ambulance service is how we met. He was a young trainee Paramedic and I was a Dispatcher, telling him where to go. Nothing’s changed much!
Followed by two rare images…
Lewie + Lola both sitting still for the camera (cat biscuits may have been responsible…)
And me and my family all in one country at the same time! This is a very rare occurrence indeed.
The story behind the heart
When I started training to become a Paramedic I developed a real love of those vintage anatomical drawings – particularly of the heart.
In 2014, my Mum’s heart stopped during a routine operation. She scared the bejeezus out of us! I had a rough time dealing with that event… even though Mum didn’t die, I still went through a grieving process and, as the year came to an end, I felt the need to mark it with something significant. At the age of 35, I got my first tattoo 🙂
I chose an anatomical heart – for Mum and my medical background. The line written is from one of my favourite poems: ‘i carry your heart with me’ by e.e. cummings, which was read on our wedding day. And, in some ways, it represents how I’ve changed emotionally – as someone once pointed out to me, I really do wear my heart on my sleeve!
I rarely switch off from doing the things I love. Photography and words are two of the things I love the most (other than my family) and so it’s hardly surprising that I have plenty of personal work to share as well!
Some awesome people I’ve worked with…
What does ‘Above the Fold’ mean? When it comes to building your website, you’ve probably heard all sorts of weird jargon - SEO, copy, content, bio, keywords and all that jazz. But have you heard the term ‘above the fold’ mentioned before? It’s one of my...
A Quintessential English Wedding Styled Shoot I’ll be honest, this styled shoot was captured in Essex, UK over a year ago and a hell of a lot has changed since then. Yep, like me moving to Canada. Oh, and not really shooting many weddings anymore because I’ve become a...
Blogging for Wedding Photographers | Kerry from A Tall Long Legged Bird I never expected, when I set up this copywriting business, that my first "unknown" client would be a fellow wedding photographer! But, given my background, I suppose it seems hardly...